Corinthia: the Blessed Land
Corinth is a "gateway" to Peloponnese and the second largest regional unit of the peninsula. It is located in the north east of Peloponnese. One part of it is washed by the Saronic Gulf and a small part to the north - by the Gulf of Corinth.
On the blessed land of Corinthia, according to archaeological evidence, emerged and developed amazing cultures 5 millennia ago. Corinth Canal is the shortest way from the Aegean to the Ionian Sea and the landmark of Corinth. The construction of the Canal was started by the Roman Emperor Neron, but it began to function only at the end of the 19th century.
City of Corinth
The capital of the region is the city of Corinth. Corinth derives its name from Ancient Corinth, a city-state of antiquity.
In 1858, the old city of Corinth was totally destroyed by an earthquake. This led to the establishment of New Corinth, on the coast of the Gulf of Corinth. New Corinth was rebuilt after a further earthquake in 1928 and again after a great fire in 1933.