The Circum-Baikal Railway was the 260-km part of the railway from Baikal Station to Mysovaya Station. The entire railway runs along the southern shore of Lake Baikal.
As for the complexity of construction, it has no equal. It has 39 tunnels, the longest of which is of 800 meters, more than 450 bridges, about 280-minute retaining walls and reinforcments of the railroad body. This is the most complex part of the railway in Russia in terms of engineering solutions. The CBRY was built in the period from 1901 to 1905 as one of the sections of the Trans-Siberian Railroad. In 1956, with the commissioning of the Irkutsk hydroelectric station, the part of CBRY from Baikal Station to Irkutsk was flooded, but by this time a more secure railway had been built in the Olkha river valley.The section from Slyudyanka station to Baikal station turned out to be a dead end, and there were no large industrial facilities along its route.Many stations got abandoned, railways were partly demolished, but part of the road has survived to our time. The section Sludyanka - Baikal (94 km long) is called the Circum-Baikal Railway.The section Transsib - Mysovaya no longer has any relation to it and now is part of the East-Siberian railway.
Now this part of the road is used for excursions, of course trains go down it bringing people to settlments, but it is notable for its tourist destination. This part of the railroad regularly hosts big tours that last all day. An old locomotive or train with comfortable modern cars will show you amazingly beautiful places. Along the route the train makes stops for sightseeing and admiring the nature that is very unusual there.