The Moscow Art Theatre is the first theatre in Russia, who put into practice the reform of repertoire, created its own circle, and which lived with their consecutive development from performance to performance. Was founded in 1898 by a theatre practitioner Constantin Stanislavski, together with the playwright and director Vladimir Nemirovich-Danchenko as a naturalistic theatre, in contrast to the melodramas that were Russia's dominant form of theatre at the time.
The theatre, the first to regularly put on shows implementing Stanislavski's system, proved hugely influential in the acting world and in the development of modern American theatre.
In 1987, the theatre split into two troupes: the Chekhov Moscow Art Theatre (artistic director Oleg Yefremov) and the Gorky Moscow Art Theatre (artistic director Tatiana Doronina).
The Chekhov Moscow Art Theatre is presently located just off Tverskaya Street, within walking distance of Red Square.
Since 2000, Oleg Tabakov has been the Chekhov Moscow Art Theatre's artistic director.
Address: Kamergersky Sidestreet, 3, Moscow
Metro station: Okhotny Ryad, Teatralnaya, Ploschad Revolutsii