St. Petersburg Lensoviet Academic Theater takes its origin from November 19, 1933, when in the house of the former Dutch Church on 20 Nevsky Prospekt was performed the premiere of "Crazy Money" by Alexander Ostrovsky.
The theater has emerged as a splash of creative energy of a group of artists led by director Isaac Krall (disciple of Meyerhold) and got a typical name for the 1930s - it was named New Theater.Soon the group almost ceased to exist: a fire that started in the dressing room, destroyed the building. But the success of the first plays starring such actors like Xenia Kurakina, Roman Rubinstein, Mikhail Rozanov, Alexander Zhukov did not go unnoticed. Leningrad's eminent theater figures asked the city authorities to provide their promising colleagues another stage. And in 1936, the New Theater began working in the Anna Pavlova Auditorium (named after the former owner) on Trinity Street (now Rubinshteina, 13). It had been reconstructed especially for that purpose.
Today it is occupied by Children's Musical Theater "Wonderland", and before that, the house hosted a famous amateur Leningrad rock club.
Address: 12 Vladimir Prospect