St. Petersburg Philharmonia is the oldest in Russia - over two centuries old. It traces its history from the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Society that emerged in 1802. In 1824 it organized the world premiere of "Missa Solemnis" by Beethoven.
The hall that is hosting the Philharmonia today was built in 1839 by architect P.Zhako (facade designed by Rossi) for the Noble Assembly of St. Petersburg.A first-class acoustics hall, accommodating more than 1,500 people since the late 1840s became a center of musical life in St. Petersburg. Famous musicians of the nineteenth century played there: F. Liszt, G. Berlioz, R. Wagner, Mahler, A. Rubinstein, K.Shuman, P.Viardo, P.Sarasate and many others.Here were presented many works of classical Russian music by Borodin, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov and Glazunov.
On June 12, 1921 the Petrograd Philharmonic was inaugurated.
Address: 2 Mikhaylovskaya Street