Tours, excursions around Suzdal 2017

Suzdal is a city-reserve, situated on the river Kamenka, a tributary of the River Nerl, 26 km north of Vladimir.

In the chronicles it was first mentioned in 1024. At the turn of the XI-XII centuries in the bend of the river Kamenka was built a fortress city - the Kremlin. On the west side, the river was its natural barrier, and on the east side, a moat was dug. Embankments were arranged, wooden walls and towers were built. In the 11-12 centuries, a Cathedral was built in Kremlin in honor of the Assumption of the Mother of God. During the reign of Yuri Dolgoruky, it was the center of the Rostov-Suzdal principality.In 1157 the capital was moved to Vladimir, so the principality got the name of Vladimir-Suzdal.Since the mid-13th century, Suzdal became the capital of the independent Suzdal principality. Tartar invasion led to recession of the principality. In the 14th century the city was the capital of Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod principality. Later it joined the Moscow principality, remaining though a cultural and religious center of Russia. All existing architectural ensembles were constructed, including the structure of the ancient Kremlin, Pokrovsky and Saviour Evfimev monasteries.Parish churches were built in the city. In the 16th century the Kremlin had 15 towers, and in its territory there were a stone cathedral and seven wooden churches. The city had   11 monasteries with 27 temples, as well as 14 wooden churches.400 homes accounted for almost 50 temples. That is, every 8 homes accounted for one church.

The Suzdal Kremlin is the core of the city, it preserved the ramparts and ditches, several churches and the Archbishop's Chambers of the XV-XVIII centuries with the ancient Church of the Nativity of the Virgin.
Alexander's Monastery was, according to legend, founded by Alexander Nevsky at the beginning of the XIII century.It is situated on the River Kamenka.
Saint Euthymius monastery was founded in the middle of the XIV century. as a fortress to protect the city.

Pokrovsky Monastery was founded in the middle of the XIV century. For a while it served as an exile place for tsarinas and women of noble boyar families. In the XVI-XVII centuries, it was one of Russia's largest monasteries.

Monastery of Lord's Robe Deposition, founded in 1207, is located on the Kamenka River in the center of Suzdal.Stone buildings appeared in the monastery in the XVI century.
Vasilevsky monastery with buildings of the XVII century. According to legend, Prince Vladimir baptized the inhabitants of Suzdal on today's site of the monastery cathedral.