The church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood (the Church of the Resurrection of Christ) is an example of the late stage in the evolution of the "Russian style". The building represents a collective image of the Russian Orthodox church, oriented on the samples of Moscow and Yaroslavl churches of the first half of the 17th century. This church was built on the site where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated on March 1, 1881 and was dedicated to his memory as the monument to Tsar Martyr (the expression the spilled blood refers to the blood of the tsar). The funding was collected throughout Russia.
The largest mosaic collection in Russia, Italian colored marbles, Ural and Altai semiprecious stones, as well as the mosaic collection of Russian heraldry are kept in the church. It is the only Orthodox Cathedral, which mosaic decoration covers an area of 7065 square meters and is one of the largest mosaic collections in Europe.
Tours conducted in the church:
Opening hours: 10:30 to 18:00, closed Wednesdays.
Evening programs of the museum are held from 18:00 to 22:30 from May 1 to September 30.